Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Look! Kendra's posting from college!

Hey everyone! I hope everyone's having a great year and that poetry club is going swimmingly. I miss you guys so much. Every time I write a new poem the first thing I think is always "Ahh I can't wait to read this at poetry club!" Then I remember that I am 4 hours away from poetry club and won't be back until December and promptly become very upset. So I've decided to send a little piece of myself to poetry club to hold you guys over until December :). This is the best poem I've written to date and I hope you all like it.

"Steinway" 9/27/2008

He sits at the piano with his shaking hands and sweating brow
Not knowing if there’s anything left in him to play
The chords of his heartstrings have turned diminished in quality
And when he tries to play them the world becomes his tritone
He sees the world in half steps and whole tone scales
Not in the major scales like children expect the world to be
Because he’s seen the flats in people’s minds
And the sharps in people’s souls
He tries to play his life like a waltz with a happy ending
But at the end of the day it’s all he can do not to
Try and squeeze himself in the space between the black and white keys
And hide under the dampers
His mind races in arpeggios of questions and chaos
As he tries to figure out where his bass line ends and his heartbreak begins
Where the light ring of a high C turns into his tears falling onto the ivory
He melts into the piano bench and transposes himself onto the pages of music inside
For he feels that if he makes himself look like the Opuses of Beethoven
Maybe people will listen to what he has to play
He places his hands on the ivory extension of his soul and plays
From his childhood all the way to him sitting at the piano with his shaking hands
And his sweating brow
Finally when he’s played his entire being into the acoustics of his existence
He plays himself to sleep
And dreams of all the sonatas and suites he wishes he could be.
~


Love and Peace to everyone,
Kendra L. Nutting ♥

1 comment:

Frances said...

That's amazing! :) I LOVE it!
Can you read it when you come back in December? I think it would be even more amazing when you read it.
The words, the rhythm, and the ideas in it are beautiful.