Friday, December 7, 2007

On a bus in Hawaii

True story. This is the randomnest thing that ever happened to me - I was waiting at a bus stop, and this guy (he lives there) just started flirting with me for no reason. And this is pretty much how it went...

You have nice eyes, you said
(it’s true, but you didn’t mean it)
You have nice sunglasses, I said
(mirrored orange plastic,
warping my image and rendering me in
cheap metallic flame;
and of course I meant, what if you took them off?)
Understood.
You slid the plastic frames up your forehead,
revealing two
simple
curious
chestnut-burning-to-emerald
windows on your soul.

Your soul wasn’t cheap plastic,
and I think you saw me clear,
and yet
when I said those were nice eyes too,
I didn’t lie, and I didn’t mean it either.

-- Alexa

No comments: